Friday, July 22, 2011

Wrens!

My last post talked about my obsession with dachshunds... well one of my other obsessions is birds.. OUTSIDE birds. I am not a fan of birds inside in cages, but boy do I adore the ones out in our yard who flit here and there and sing, sing, sing!  My mom is a bird nut and no doubt passed the love of our feather friends on to me and I have done my best to pass it on to my kiddos.

We have a small covered patio right outside our back doors and we almost always have a wreath or basket hanging on the wall. Over the years we have had birds.. usually wrens.. nest there. We have watched the momma and daddy flit in and out building the nest and feeding the babies... we have listened to them chirp warnings and such to each other... heard the babies calling for food (boy can they get loud when they are hungry!)... and we are rather use to being dive bombed when we open the door to go outside. It has been a year or two since we have had a nest and I, for one, have been missing those little birdies. So I was super excited to see a nest being built recently and then to hear baby birds chirping away.  I kept wanting to grab a photo, but never seemed to have the time. Last night my husband... who is 6'5" and can peek in to the nest with ease!... said "You better snap a picture tomorrow.. these babies are about to fly the coop!"  So I grabbed a stool and my camera and snap a couple of shots today.  He is right... the bitty babies are not so small anymore.. no doubt they will be leaving soon... I am thinking before the weekend is out. I will miss them a bit... but it is time.  I think I will feel that way when my own nest is empty.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment