71. Tex-Mex... really... my husband and I have loved Tex-Mex from day 1 and over the years as the budget was tight and eating out was not an option, I learned to cook a lot of things and one of my "specialties" is Tex-Mex. My kids love it.. there "others" love it... it is a family favorite. And we do it on various levels.. tonight the hub and I are having quick skillet beef tacos, some tamales we picked up at our local tamale place, queso and chips... easy not terribly healthy but oh so good! Our menu also often includes Beef Enchiladas, Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Tacos, homemade queso (tonight it is from a jar) and my special Mexican rice. So good!
72. Pricking of the Spirit... you know what I mean... recently it was cool and damp and I was piled up on our couch with the pups, a quilt and a book... pure heaven! My husband came in and asked if I would do something for him. It was a very reasonable request... not mean.. not out of line in anyway. And he was busy at the time and needed this thing done. So I did it.. but as I was "doing", I was grumbling in my head. "I was all warm on the couch.. reading my book.. he could do this himself later..." and BAM it hit "Whatever you do whether in Word of Deed, do it as unto the Lord" (My b;ended version of Colossians 3:17 & 23) Whoa! The Holy Spirit reminded me that I was not really doing this for my husband, but for the Lord and my grumbling spirit was aimed at him. It was a humbling moment and it also reminded me that God is always with me and aware of what I think.. speak.. feel.. etc.
73. Spring.. yes it is March 8, but where I live Spring is in the air and doing its best to burst forth in glorious song! We still have cool night and mornings, but from lunchtime until the sun goes down it is just the right amount of warm.. not hot.. not humid.. and the grass and bushes and plants are turning green and there are buds showing... and yes with it comes a tickly in my throat forewarning of allergy season... and there will be sneezing and watery eyes and pollen but it is sooo worth it! (I will hurt anyone who throws my words back at me when I am in the midst of an allergy attack and whining!)
74. A Husband who does Yard Work.. right now the windows of the house are open and I can hear my husband edging our yard. We have a lot to edge because we live on a rather large corner lot.. so lots of curb. And my husband is persnickety with the yard. It always looks amazing and I have no doubt I take it for granted. I don't do yard work.. that was established from day 1. I wheeze around fresh cut grass. He did try to teach me to use the weed whacker.. he decided it was safer if I didn't! I do weed flower beds and help pick up sticks and such.. I just don't get to play with the big toys. (And I am fine with that!) But seriously.. I appreciate all my sweetie does to keep the yard looking so nice and clean and inviting. And now that the nest is almost empty, he is back to doing it on his own most days. For a while he had some teenage helpers.. but they grew up.
75. Thursday Night Bible Study... I lead a group at my church on Thursday nights.. ladies from 20 something (which happens to include my daughter, which is an added blessing!) to 60 something (I don't think anyone is older than that.. the older ladies do a daytime Bible study). I love the ladies who come. It does vary from study to study, but there is that core group that keeps things going. I love their hunger.. their openness.. their real-ness.. sweet ladies and a sweet sweet time together in the Word.
76. "No".. LOL! I am so thankful for that word at times.. and the ability to say No to somethings and not always Yes. I use to say Yes to everything and I confess I still struggle at times with wanting to do that, but it is so important to say No sometimes.. even to good things. We must seek God and only say Yes to what HE wants us to do.
77. Lemon Drops.. I mentioned in the Spring comments that my throat is tickly from allergies. I drink tons and tons of water. Truthfully that is all I drink cold. Occasionally I will have fruit or some ginger ale, but I have been a water girl for a long time.. I actually love the stuff! Water helps the tickly, but sometimes I need something more.. so I will suck on some hard candy like a peppermint (only if desperate.. not a big fan of mint alone.. not chocolate mint is a whole nother story!), Werthers (yum!) and today I found some old fashioned Lemon Drops! Oh my... memories rush back of eating these as a kid. And they really do help soothe that niggly tickly in the back of my throat.
78. Raw Local Honey.. I have always loved honey..and I grew up eating raw honey. My great-uncle had a bee apiary several hours north of us and he always kept up supplied with the golden goodness. I have been buying local honey and using it in my hot tea and recently tried it on oatmeal (didn't wow me). I have seen a "recipe" for making honey lozenges and am thinking of trying that. I have a friend who swears that using 2 Tbsp of raw local honey each day keeps him from ever taking allergy meds. I am hoping he is right and it works for me! No matter.. it tastes soo good!
79. Mysteries.. I have shared before that I am a lover of books.. devour them.. never have enough time to read all I want to read... and I love mysteries. Now I use to read really detailed intense mysteries, but in the past 10 years, I have mellowed and come to view reading fiction as downtime.. entertainment.. relaxing.. so I am not looking for intense. I love a good cozy mystery with enough twists and turns to keep me intrigued that I can pretty well figure out about 2 chapters before the book ends (no sooner.. that spoils the fun!) I also like mysteries that are in a series and center around a town or group of people... Like the Gray Whale Inn series (so good!) or The Seaside Knitters (Love it!) and many many more! Think I will curl up and read after supper... and I have the perfect furbabies to keep me warm and plenty of quilts!
80. Life.. not just life here on earth, but Eternal life and the assurance I and every Christ-follower has. Today a man from our church went home to the Lord.. he was 51.. he had a stroke last weekend.. totally unexpected.. his health was fine.. he was fit.. life was good.. he has a lovely wife and a great teenage son.. and now he is gone.. but not really.. He knew the Lord... knew Him personally.. Jesus was and is His Savior and so today without a doubt he is with Jesus.. whole.. healed.. rejoicing. Difficult time for his family, but they have peace knowing where he is and with whom and that they will be with him again one day. Do you have that assurance? If not, please contact me. I would love to tell you how you can. It has absolutely nothing to do with joining a church or a specific denomination... it has everything to do with love.. grace.. relationship.
Until Next Time.. be JOYful!