Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Caught a peep....

Saw this in the grocery store yesterday and I knew Easter is on its way!



Colorful... fun.. and totally nasty to me!  I love a marshmallow, but a Peep? EWWW!  No thank you! But I do know that they burst forth each Spring to announce the coming of Easter.  

And while perusing the seasonal aisle I caught a glimpse of this...



I have the clearest memory of my dad bring a bag of Reese's Pieces to my daughter when she was no more than 2.  I can see him putting one out for her to try and I can see her face when the taste hits. She was hooked!  She loves pretty much anything that combines chocolate and peanut butter. Shortly after that, I discovered these Reese's Pieces Carrots and they have been in her Easter basket ever since. At 25, she doesn't actually get a basket any more.. but I can assure you I will be purchasing a carrot for her. (Remember traditions are big in our family.. and they often involve food!)

There will be a few other Easter goodies bought despite the fact that we no longer do baskets.  My husband will expect to have 2 or 3 of these goodies..



Snickers Easter Eggs.

My son's tradition has changed. For many of his 20 years he received these...



But a few years ago he discovered the Easter version of Lifesaver Gummies. Evidently the flavors used are not the regular ones and can only be found at Easter, so he tends to stock up.. though they never last him that long!  LOL!



And for me.. my favorite Easter candy is one I have loved since I was a little girl. 



My mother owned a pharmacy that was more like a general store and we sold Russell Stover candy there.  I remember when the Easter Candy came in and there would be the Coconut Nests.. NOT the eggs with coconut cream filling.. these nests are milk chocolate and toasted coconut shaped like a bird nest and then topped with 3 jelly beans to look like eggs. I usually fed the jelly beans to my dog!  (I hate jelly beans) Now I give them to my husband. :-)  You can now get a Coconut Wreath at Christmas, making this treat available at other times of year. But I still look forward to it at Easter.  Takes me back to my childhood.

Awww Easter candy.. need to up the walking to get ready!  

No comments:

Post a Comment