Thursday, March 1, 2012

Apologies and Blessings

I am ashamed to say that I have done a horrible job posting here and a worse job counting my blessings!  I started the 1000 Blessings last January and only posted twice! 20 Blessings!  I could list 20 a day for the rest of my life and not count them all!

So today I am starting again.. with #21.. and hopefully I will do a better job posting and counting in 2012.

21. Sunshine!  I live in the South, so sunshine is pretty much part of my steady diet. But we have had a lot of grey days lately and while I actually like a bit of rain now and then.. good excuse to stay home with a good book.. I love the Sunshine.. and I find as I get older that I seem to need it more. It was grey this morning, but when I walked out shortly before lunch the sun was shining so bright and it just seemed to lift my mood. When my kids were wee ones we would see streaks of sun streaming through the clouds and I would say "Look, God is smiling on us!"  That is how Sunshine feels to me.. as if God is smiling... a warm comforting smile and encourages and comforts and strengthens the soul.

22. Music... I love music.. just about any kind. I love to sing.. love to dance... to listen to music.. to play the piano (something I don't do much these days... but I am thinking I need to start playing again just for the fun of it). Music effects my mood more than just about anything. My dad was a musician at heart.  We listened to a lot of music growing up and at times he would lie on my bed and sing to me at bedtime. Those were magical times to me. Sweet sweet memories! Which leads me to my next blessing...

23. My favorite musician.. my son.  From pretty much day 1 it was obvious music would be part of his world. He "sang" as a baby... loved to hear music. My husband bought the sweetest little stuffed dog before Luke was born. You wound it up and it played "How much is that Doggie in the Window".. just the melody.. all tinkly and bright. Luke loved it! When he was 2, we were in Walmart and he was in the buggy looking at something and singing.. he always sang no matter what he was doing and quite often still does.  I was getting something off the shelf and turned away for a sec.. turned back and there were 3 or 4 elderly people standing around the cart listening to him. He was totally oblivious.. had no idea they were there. It was precious. God has gifted him musically.. he plays many instruments and sings.. and since he was 13 he has been involved in leading worship in church and other functions.  It is a huge blessing for this mom to see her child walking out the calling God has placed on his life.

24. Light at the end of the Tunnel.. my precious girl has been going through a wilderness season. As she and I are learning together in Bible study, the wilderness may not be fun, but God has a purpose for it.  I know He has been at work in her life.. it shows!  And it appears she is on the edge.. she can see the Jordan River and the Promised Land just past. Her journey will not end.. there will be more wildernesses (is that a word?) ahead.  But it looks as if this one will soon be in her past and for that I am truly grateful!

25. Wind.  Yes, Wind. No I do not care for damaging winds and tornadoes.. but I go love the sound and feel of wind.  I loved sailing when I was growing up.. and riding in our boats (motor boats).. and riding on a motorcycle.. or in a car with the windows down... or biking.. anything where the wind blew across my face and whipped my hair around.  I love to feel a gentle breeze on a Spring Day.. to stand in a cooling gust shortly before a storm on a hot sticky summer day.. to hear the leaves rustle.. the wind chimes sing.. as the wind goes through on its merry way to who knows where.  "Who has seen the wind? Neither I not you. But when the leaves hang trembling, the wind is passing through. Who has seen the wind? Neither you nor I. But when the trees bow down their heads, the wind is passing by." (Christina Rosetti)

26.  Poetry... call me old-fashioned.. dreamer.. romantic.. I love poetry.  I use to read much more of it than I do now.. another something I need to remedy (like piano playing).  From Browning and Shakespeare's sonnets.. Odes to Haiku.. long narratives.. Sandburg.. Rosetti.. cummings.. Longfellow.. Keats.. Bryant.. Whitman... Dickinson.. and so many more... I love poetry just for the sheer sound of hearing it.. poetry should always be read aloud.. and the way it evokes memories, feelings, sights, sounds.. Poetry is music with a silent melody.

27. Water.. H2O.. I drink almost nothing but water.. I love the stuff.. and I am regularly reminded how blessed I am to have access to clean water for drinking, bathing, cooking, cleaning, sanitation and more. In so many countries, the same water source is used for multiple uses and often that source is a river or lake with no treatment plant or filters. Many many diseases could be prevented.. which means deaths could be prevented.. with clean water.  There are many charities that look to provide this blessing to others... 2 I would recommend are Blood Water Mission  and Water for Life

28. Giving... it truly is more blessed to give than receive. If you don't believe me, try it. Start small. Pay for someone's meal .. you don't even have to tell them.  Take a bag of groceries to someone in need (again, you can leave it at the door.. ring the bell and leave if you want it to be anonymous). Like most, my husband and I live paycheck to paycheck.. and many folks would think we don't have a lot.. and we don't compare to much of our nation.. but we are truly rich compared to most of the world and how blessed we are to be able to give to others.  And giving isn't just about money. Give a service (mow a widow's yard)... give time (read with a child)... give ability (teach someone a skill you know and they want or need)... there are many, many ways to give... you will be so blessed if you do!

29. Russell Stover Coconut Nests.. LOL!  Yep Easter candy that I do NOT need, but oh how I love it! Chocolate and Coconut.. how can you go wrong with that. They use to put jelly beans in the center to look like eggs.. I had to pop those off and give to hubby or throw away... not more. They got wise and started making them without those nasty things. YUM! And I am thankful they are only available for a short while once a year!!!!

30. My Kindle... my daughter and her fella bought me a Kindle for my birthday. I didn't really want one, but smiled and took it. I love books.. love the feel of them in my hands.. turning pages.. the whole process.  But there are a lot of freebies available for Kindle and I do love saving $$$... and I love love love to read. So I tried it.. and now I am hooked!  Yes, I still read traditional books, but how I love the convenience of the Kindle and the fact that I can adjust the font size!  And you can play games on it. That is icing on the cake!

So 10 more blessings... and hopefully I will stick to it and write more in the days ahead. In the meantime, I hope you are opening your eyes and looking for the blessings that swirl all around you.  Start counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment