Friday, March 9, 2012

Feed the Birds..

In the movie Mary Poppins there is a lovely song that says "Feed the birds, tuppence a bag...." It is about a little old lady in the park called the bird lady who sells bags of crumbs for others to feed the pigeons.

Well I have no bags of crumbs to sell, I am not in a park and their are no pigeons here. .. and I am not an old lady .. yet!  But I do love birds and they find plenty of feed and water and even shelter in our yard.  Yes, there are 2 wild wiener dogs who live here. One has always ignored the birds.. the other use to always bark at them, but they ignored him.. so now he just occasionally raises his voice to them.

Living in the sunny south, we have a wide variety of birds year round. Some make their home here... some vacation here in winter.. some just pass through.  No matter. I love them all.

We have blue birds scouting around for a place to make their nest. We are once again advertising 2 lovely condos on our fence. They have recently been cleaned out and are close to the local pub which provides an all you can eat buffet 24 / 7 and plenty of water for drinking and bathing. I have no doubt a couple will snatch it up soon.

We also have cardinals.. these lovely red birds are my mother's favorite birds and so they hold a special place in my heart.  I recently got to watch a couple dining at one of our feeders and even got a few photos...

Here is the husband chatting with a little finch....



And here is the Mrs. waiting her turn...


Take some time to stop and watch the bird today.. they are fascinating creatures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment