Thursday, March 15, 2012

Flea Market

We often pass a place about 20 minutes from us where there are some warehouses and a big sign that says FLEA MARKET... and we always say "One day we need to stop there."  So we did.  What a treasure trove. Lots of the things you expect at flea markets.. and lots of other stuff.. like there were boxes and boxes of various kinds of work gloves... masks.. haz-mat suits (I kid you not!).. rubber boots.. and there is a separate "Room" (more like an airplane hanger with construction type salvage.. molding, bead board, lumber, numbers, metal pieces, doors, windows.. it was / is great!

While there we found a bed for my mother. She has a gorgeous old bed that her great-grandparents purchased in the late 30s / early 40s for their younger daughter.. my great-aunt.  Last fall my husband and I made mother a quilt to fit that bed for her 80th birthday.  Sadly, she took a fall in November and will no longer be able to sleep in it as it is high and requires her to lift and such too much. She has to have something low to the ground.  And we found it.... but we did not buy it that day.  We told her about it first and got her ok.

The following weekend we went back to get it (they are only open on Saturday and Sunday).  It was still there.  While waiting for someone to help us haul it out of the building (it was, of course, in the farthest back corner buried under tons of other goodies), I noticed some old Pyrex bowls.  I love old Pyrex and fire king and such.  One set was just solids (I have a set like those that belonged to my grandmother), but they were all scratched up and just not that pretty. Then I saw one big bowl... green... white flowers.. I have seen it called Crazy Daisy or Spring Blossom... not sure when it was manufactured.. I am guessing 70s.. it has that 70s look.  If I found an entire set it would probably run around $40.  I just found the 1 bowl, so it would probably go for $10 or less.

There was no price on it.. so I asked.. what did I pay.. nothing! Nada!  LOVE IT!  I love "FREE"... the lady tossed it in since we were buying the bed. Made my day.. I am rather easy to please! LOL!

I brought it home.. washed it up.. and have been using it ever since.. Yes, I USE my vintage Pyrex.  That is what it was made for.. to be used.  It is a great bowl... has a happy look.. makes me smile when I use it..

No comments:

Post a Comment