Saturday, February 16, 2013

3 Roses...

Valentine's Day is also our firstborn's birthday, so we have kept the Cupid fest simple over the years and celebrate our baby girl instead.  But we haven't tosses out all the hearts and candy!  Usually I get everyone one candy item.  Sometimes a card.. I love cards but the cost of them has gotten ridiculous!  Hubby gets in on the act with flowers.  Again.. keeping it simple

White Roses are very special to me. My dad planted roses when I was little and he had one bush that was a white rose.  He would tell me that was my rose.  So I grew up loving white roses.  When I was a teen I made a deal with God... the way I would know the guy was "the guy", he would send me a dozen white roses. I never told a soul. I got white roses over the years.. but never a dozen.. until my 19th birthday. I walked into the dorm and saw them and started to cry. I already knew my fella was "the guy" but that just confirmed it and sent me over the moon!  So each Valentine's Day I receive a lovely white rose...



When our Valentine girl was born, my dad gave her pink roses.  My husband decided to continue the tradition and so starting with her first birthday, he gave her a pink rose just as he did this year....



When our son (baby #2) was a wee one, he asked with a hang-dog look one year why Daddy gave flowers to the girls, but not him.  And so a third rose was added.. deep red for his little man... who is not so little any more...



We are a family who loves tradition... not locked into it or obsessed about it, but we do love it.. cherish it.. look forward to it... memory makers.


No comments:

Post a Comment